Register now for Free limitless entry to Reuters.com
LONDON, July 5 (Reuters) – Right here are 5 facts about Britain’s new finance minister Nadhim Zahawi, appointed by Primary Minister Boris Johnson on Tuesday pursuing the resignation of Rishi Sunak. read more
– Zahawi, 55, was born in Iraq and moved to Britain in the mid-1970s when his Kurdish loved ones fled the rule of Saddam Hussein.
– A lengthy-standing member of the Conservative Get together, Zahawi worked in the 1990s as an aide for novelist and politician Jeffrey Archer, who was jailed for perjury in 2001.
Sign-up now for No cost unlimited entry to Reuters.com
– In 2000 he co-started the polling enterprise YouGov and was its main executive until finally 2010, turning the company into 1 of Britain’s leading marketplace exploration firms.
– Zahawi ran in the 2010 standard election as the Conservative Occasion prospect for Stratford-on-Avon and gained. His achievements in enterprise prompted then key minister David Cameron to appoint Zahawi to the plan unit in Downing Road.
– Soon after doing the job in junior ministerial roles in the schooling and enterprise departments, he was appointed minister in charge of the COVID-19 vaccine rollouts in 2020. In 2021, Boris Johnson appointed him to the cabinet as schooling secretary.
(This tale corrects to display Zahawi moved to Britain in the 1970s, not 1990s)
Register now for Absolutely free unrestricted access to Reuters.com
Reporting by Andy Bruce modifying by Deepa Babington
Our Benchmarks: The Thomson Reuters Have faith in Concepts.